Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Attack; My Counter-Attack

Adversities, trials and tribulations, the hardships of life all share a striking similarity. They either strengthen or weaken you (and your faith in God). I've read stories of how people gave up on God after they've lost their loved ones to illnesses or accidents, yet I've also heard of cases where people drew closer to God as a result.

I have been a Christian for the past 14 years. I always know there's a God and that He created me, but I never know Him intimately nor experience His love and power before. My relationship with Him could be likened to a roller-coaster ride. I've never placed Him 1st in my life. I was a lukewarm Christian, a little more than a Sunday Christian. Maybe a Sunday and Monday Christian.

God has a very unique yet loving way of waking His children up. I remembered that during my army days, my officers would yelled at me "Wake up your ideas!" Sometimes I would be punished or rebuked by my officers to teach me a lesson. This time round, it was God who gave me the wake-up call.

2010 has been my most memorable year. It was also a year of restoration. It has been my loneliest year, yet a year where I know God most intangibly (not tangibly). It has been my most depressing year, yet a year which I experience God's peace. It was a year where I was down to my last ounce of strength, yet I was the strongest. A lonely yet full-of-God-presence year? A peaceful depressing year? A stronger weak me?

"Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men." (1 Corinthians 1:25)

I've cooped myself up in bed over the weekends, I've had tears streaming down whenever a particular thought flooded my head, I've had indescribable fear that attacked me such that I do not have the strength and courage to meet people or go out. The details of which I do not wish to share openly; only a few closest friends and my church leader know about it. Rather, I find it more purposeful to share this: there is HOPE in the Lord! I would like to share some strategies which I've found it useful. And I know it could help you too. I used the word "strategies", because we're not dealing with mere flesh and blood; we're dealing with dark forces and spirit beings and the unseen. If you deal with humans, you can adopt methods; if you deal with dark forces, you need godly strategies.

1) Even on days that I do not wish to, I would literally force myself to sing praise songs through Youtube. My favourite is Made Me Glad by Hillsong. I sing it everyday, even up till today.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Ephesians 1:3)

2) On days that I can't sleep due to fears or worries, I would call out Jesus name repeatedly before I sleep, and until I drifted to sleep. Yes, I simply meditate on the word "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus..."

"And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Acts 2:21)

3) I would focus myself on the book of Psalms. My favourite being

"I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears." (Psalm 34:4)

4) I would pray to God everyday. I would cry to him when I pray. I'm very thankful to God that He allowed me to cry. I felt better after each cry.

"Let my prayer come before You; Incline Your ear to my cry!" (Psalm 88:2)

“I called upon the Lord, and cried to my God.” (2 Sam. 22:7)

5) I meditate on this verse in the train on my way to work every morning.

"This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24)

6) I would fast every Wed (I choose Wed because it's the mid-week) over lunch. I would dedicate my lunch time to pray to God.

"So I gave my attention to the Lord God to seek Him by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth and ashes." (Daniel 9:3)

7) I would ask God to be the army commander in my battle against spiritual dark forces. I would visualise Jesus standing in front of all enemies (my fears and worries), and He's holding my hand with His one hand, and wielding His mighty sword with the other.

"You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." (1 John 4:4)

"Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?" (1 Corinthians 3:16)

8) I have consciously choose to praise God for everything and anything. I praise God for His light when the weather is hot, and His rain when it's wet. I praise God when I become hungry (for I know He shall feed me), and I thank Him sincerely after I have my fill.

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." (Philippians 4:11)

9) I started going to church more regularly and joined a cell group. I opened myself up socially to more people.

10) I start to view life with opportunities to give and to serve. I consciously remind myself to be God-conscious instead of self-conscious. I know and own nothing by myself; whatever I do know and have are given to me from God.

"For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either." (1 Timothy 6:7)

"Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share" (1 Timothy 6:18)

11) 1st thing I asked specifically is peace in my heart, love for myself and others, and joy in every situation, above all material needs and wealth.

2nd thing I ask for specifically is for a good mental and physical health.

3rd thing which I ask very specifically is for wisdom to handle life's challenges and to make right decisions.

12) Next on my to-do list is to start becoming active again. Those who know me know that I used to be very active. When you're down, you don't feel like exercising.

13) Last but not of any less importance - support from loved ones and friends. I wish to thank my mum, Shirley and Alison for being with me all these while. You are the next best things beside God. :P

The Number One must-do task is to ask God for help!

"Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete." (John 16:24)

For those who are feeling the weight of the world, be encouraged and be lifted up in the Lord.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

Please try these steps, and write to me to let me know if they work for you, as they do for me. May the Lord's peace comes upon the broken-hearted and the discouraged.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! You did a great job writing and its has helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to come across this page . Praise the Lord!
    Thank You , it really great .

    ReplyDelete