Sunday, August 22, 2010

Andrew Ong's testimony - From Depression to Victory



Adapted from Andrew Ong's blog:
http://andrew-ong.com/my-testimony

The PAST me (Andrew):

My growing up took an adverse turn when my family broke up and leaving me to seek solace, support and a sense of belonging in a gang. Gradually I lost interest in studies and dropped out from secondary school.

I got involved in smoking, alcohol, drugs and fights. And one of those fights (a gang clash) led me to prison where I was sentenced for 30 months and 5 strokes of the cane. I was 18 years old then.

But what was to be my lowest point was to be my turning point.

A miracle happened… God found me in my cell.

In my cell I chanced upon a bible and read the Gospels and was drawn to the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Convicted of my wrongs, I decided to repent and received Jesus into my life.

A second miracle happened… God spoke to me in my cell.

God through His word placed in my heart His promise, “You have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain ‘move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you” (Matthew 17:20)

That spoken (rhemma) word from Him gave me the courage to appeal my case, which was something absurd to do humanly speaking. However, God proved Himself true and faithful.

I was released two months later after my appeal was heard. My sentence was drastically shortened to a mere 9 months. And the 5 strokes of the cane was thrown out!

The PRESENT me (Andrew):

My new life with Christ has really been a ride due mainly to the fact that I am incorrigible. But He has always been unconditionally patient with me all the time, and His belief in me has been my pillar in living out a full life that is not inhibited by my past and my sins.

Today the miracles still continue as I am growing as a person; having the capacity to love, trust and give, these qualities of which I never knew how living in this ‘sick, corrupt and dark’ world.

Incidentally, He had led me back to my studies some years ago and had played the main role as my motivator in my long climb up the academic ladder towards attaining a Bachelor’s Degree last year.

Even wounds between me and my family members had been healed and incredibly, each one has been saved, extending even to my step-family!

I am truly amazed by God’s love for me and what He has done for me. And I believe that He is the Hope of the world. If He can do it for me, He can do it for anyone.

“Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners- of whom I am worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who believe on Him and receive eternal life” (1 Timothy 1:15-16)

No comments:

Post a Comment