Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Prayer for The Depressed, Lonely and Rejected

Dear Lord,

I wish to pray for those suffering mentally. You know what internal hurt and anguish are. You have been kicked out of your own hometown, rejected by man, betrayed by your loved ones, wrongfully accused and judged, physically whipped. You have been through loneliness, you have been through sufferings that no man has ever endured, you have been tempted by the devil far more than any man alive. You need not go through these, but you did. Simply for me, for us. No one has ever done this for me, neither will there be anyone in future. Truly there is none like you. Thank you for your blood that was shed, thank you for your sacrificial love.

Because you know what internal pain is, you know what is depression. You do not just know it in theory alone, but I personally believe that at some stages, you have been through it.

You said in Mark 14: 33-36, "And He took with Him Peter and James and John, and began to be very distressed and troubled. And He said to them, 'My soul is deeply grieved to the point of death; remain here and keep watch.' "

But You are an overcomer – You overcame death, and You overcame depression. Because You CAN, therefore we CAN too. Our hopes lie in you. With You, the impossible becomes possible. The spiritually dead and mentally oppressed shall be revived and be set free. You came to earth not for the healthy, but for the sick, both physically and mentally. You are the doctor of all doctors, the counsellor of all counsellors.

With man (and doctors), many things may seem impossible, but with You all things are possible. In Your Name, I ask that you provide soothing and relief to those who are trapped mentally. Depression, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Chronic Stress, Excessive Anxiety, Inferority Complex, Loneliness, Abnormal Fears and Phobias, and even Schizo. I do not understand why these problems afflict mankind, just as no one can be certain how cancer comes to certain individuals. But I trust that You have the cure. In fact, You ARE the cure. I pray that Your name alone gives hope to the hopeless, gives love to the love-deprived. There are some individuals who do not respond well to medications nor counselling. They have tried various methods of treatments but were futile. I pray that in Your compassion and grace, come and relieve them from their pain. There are people who could not sleep well for even one night. There are many who have given up on love after a broken relationship. Yet there are those who harbor bitterness because of betrayal. Others suffer from constant guilt from their wrong deeds. There is no single pill to treat all these. If there is, it will easily be the most popular medication of all times. To these groups of people, I urge that they come and try You. I know there are others out there who have attempted or are contemplating suicide. I pray that they give You their best try before giving up on life.

"Come, Taste & See That The Lord Is Good" (Psalm 34:8)

People have been asking me why do bad things happen to good people, or good things happen to bad people. In turn I have asked You many whys. But nobody knows why. Nobody knows why this good person has cancer, or why that seemingly cheerful colleague has depression. If I know why, I would be God. But I thank God that I do not know the answers to many questions in life, but You know. And that suffices. Have compassion on your creation, Lord. Show them Your miracles. Amen!

Your humble servant,
Stephen

2 comments: