Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Dreaded D word

“The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, But who can bear a broken spirit?” (Proverbs 18:14)

The above verse gave us some insights about a man's spirit and its capability: a person's spirit alone can sustain a person through his sickness, but a crushed or broken spirit itself, who can withstand it?

A person's resiliency and optimism could pull a person through any terrible disease, e.g. cancer. In a similar yet contrasting manner, a person's constant discouragements and chronic pessimism could drag an otherwise physically healthy person into his grave. Therefore, I strongly feel that a person's mental health is far more superior (or conversely, detrimental) than his physical. If mind can indeed be over matter, then our mental is truly over and beyond the physical.

Oxford dictionary defined the term Depression as "severe, typically prolonged, feelings of despondency and dejection", or "a mental condition characterized by severe feelings of hopelessness and inadequacy, typically accompanied by a lack of energy and interest in life".

Are Christians exempted from depression? Just as Christians are never guaranteed a life without adversities and illnesses, we can expect Christians to suffer from depression. King David wrote “I am troubled, I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long. …I groan because of the turmoil of my heart” (Psalm 38:6,8 - NKJV). You would probably know that Job was possibly the first man to suffer from depression - "So that my soul chooseth strangling, and death rather than my life. I loathe it; I would not live always: let me alone; for my days are vanity" (Job 7:15-16)". Now that you know the bad news - that Christians are not immune to depression, here's the good part: we CAN overcome depression! Just as we CAN overcome cancer. I admit it requires extraordinary great faith to believe that we CAN overcome cancer (and depression and all dreaded illnesses). Allow me to quote Philippians 4:13

- I CAN do all things thorough Christ who strengthens me.

Now that doesn't mean that you can do the impossible as to fly like Superman, but it does mean that whatever that Christ did during His ministry on earth, He can do it to and through you too. The big question that determines how big your faith is: How much do you believe that because He CAN, through Him you CAN too?

I thank God that I'm qualified to share on this big dreaded D word - Depression. I did my major in Psychology during my uni days, and went on to graduate with a Graduate Diploma in Professional Counselling. I work as a full-time counsellor in a voluntary welfare organisation. That's nothing special or unique, I heard you muttering. Indeed, until I was not spared from depression...

I've learnt to never boast of anything except that which is from God and for God. I do not seek to know anything except from His bible.

"So that no man may boast before God...so that, just as it is written, 'Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord.' " (1 Corinthians 1:29, 31)

"For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified." (1 Corinthians 2:2)

No, I'm not holy or pious, though I wish I can be. I am just like you, prone to mistakes, indiscipline, doubts, sins, undesirable habits, negative thoughts, worries, etc. What I will be sharing are from my reading and research, and my personal experience and struggles. I hope you can be blessed through reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment