Saturday, August 21, 2010

Be Thankful

1 Timothy 4:4-5
For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

Yesterday I was sharing in my cell group, after watching the video by Pastor Khong (FCBC) on YOU CAN - Win and Have Success, that it is crucial to have a teachable and thanksgiving attitudes if we want to be successful in life. Nobody likes to be with a person who's not teachable, nor someone who constantly grumbles about any or everything. Conversely a person who is humble and teachable, and gives thanks in many situations or circumstances, is highly valued and well-liked.

I'm not saying that I'm successful by any definition, or that I do not have any pride within me, but that we should all try to be more humble, teachable and thankful to God in all situations.

"But godliness with contentment is great gain." (1 Timothy 6:6)

There are many things that I wish to have and have not, but there also are many things that I have, and I thank God for them. I realised that the more I dwell on the things I have not, and why others have them, the more depressed I become. However, when I think about the things that I already have, and shall have, a spirit of thankfulness overwhelms me.

I thank God for 1) my good health and physique 2) my loving parents 3) my cosy room 4) my 2 beautiful and obedient dogs 4) my intellect and education 5) my voice and ability to sing for Him 6) my meaningful job 7) my few good friends 8) my cell group leader and members 9) some developing fruits of His Spirit 10) living in Singapore 10) and last but not least, God!

You see, there are also many things that I do not have, and I've many weaknesses and flaws. And I'm sure if you count all your blessings, you will have more than mine. There are really many things I yearn for. Some I've been praying and I know it will be answered, yet others I know I have to manage my expectations and live without. Still, there are things we can be thankful to God for! I know, the plants on the other side are always greener. How about looking at your own plants and begin to appreciate its own greenery?

I was watching the inspiring videos of Nick Vujicic, the famous "man without limbs". I felt prompted to write this post after he shared how he was THANKFUL for what he has, and not BITTER for what he does not have.

Now I want to say that there are days that I've cried for what I do not have, that life is unfair (I still lament at times)! But God has stilled my heart and taught me some bits and pieces about godliness with contentment. I'm not there yet, but I trying, and I know I can. I want to encourage you, my brothers and sisters-in-Christ, to adopt a heart of thanksgiving to God always, and your life will overflow with His joy.

Thank you Jesus, for helping me to write this post. May You bless me and my readers with godliness and contentment!

No comments:

Post a Comment